Friday, November 13, 2009

Mashed Yams = Yummy!

This is my momma's simple yet really good yam recipe (in my own words since she doesn't write any recipes down--- they're all in her head!).

4 or 5 medium yams
butter
brown sugar
frozen orange juice concentrate
Big or small marshmallows

Wash then boil your yams WHOLE. Boil until a fork pierces them easily. Drain the water and let the yams cool. Peel skin (it came off really easily). Cut up and put in mixer (I used the whisk-like attachment). Add about 2 tablespoons EACH butter, sugar, and orange juice concentrate. Whip until smooth. I added more butter, sugar, and oj until I felt it tasted good -- just depends on how sweet or citrus-y you want it (I probably did 4 tablespoons! or more....).
Put in pyrex casserole dish. Heat at 350 degrees until warmed through. Top with marshmallows and cook until golden brown.

My yams had some lumps today because I didn't boil them long enough. I like my yams to be really smooth, so don't be afraid that you'll whip them too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment