Saturday, January 22, 2011

Delicious Creme Anglaise - Gluten, Casein Free

I'm so not a food blogger and I don't really aspire to be either. There are too many other people who do that, and do it well. So I don't have lovely pictures to show for this recipe. But it turned out so yummy I thought I'd post it anyway.
I've been wanting to make a nice vanilla cream (or Creme Anglaise) that I could use in my Gluten Free Triffle, and today I found it. (I'll post the trifle recipe later). I just want to be able to celebrate holidays eating the deserts I love, without having to tell my kids: um, sorry, you can't eat this, or the alternative which is making two of every kind. I like food to be delicious, even if it doesn't contain Gluten or Casein. I can't stand recipes that claim they taste just like the "real thing" and then instead of having a yummy, gooey cookie melt on your tongue, you bite into a gluten free, chocolate free/carob substituted wannabe cookie that leaves your mouth feeling like you were just caught in a moldy sandstorm.

This recipe works (although admittedly I use approximates with the sugar, starch, and vanilla). It's delicious. I like having custard with fruit, because fruit is easy, available, quickly cooked, and makes a yummy dessert.

Here it is:


2 cups almond milk (I have tried it with coconut milk, but the coconut flavor was too strong for my taste)
4 egg yolks
2 tsps vanilla essence
1/3 cup white sugar
1/4 corn starch

  1. Warm the almond milk to hot, but not boiling.
  2. In  a separate bowl beat the eggs with the sugar. Either warm the metal bowl on a stove (being careful to make it warm to the touch, not burning hot) or for even better results put the bowl in hot water and mix it up with a hand mixer until the  sugar dissolves and the eggs are frothy, thick and pale yellow.
  3. Pour the hot milk into the eggs while continuing to use the hand mixer, and then pour the eggs into the pot. Don't try to do it in reverse (i.e. pour eggs into the milk). 
  4. Continuously stir on the stove. You have to stir. 
  5. Dissolve cornstarch in a bit of water or almond milk, and add to the mixture. 
  6. Key is to keep stirring, keeping it at a low temperature so it goes to almost boiling, but doesn't. 
That makes for a creamy sauce that isn't too thick. Enjoy with some steamed fruit or over some crumble.

Woops, somehow I posted this on the Clear Creek Ward recipes. Oh well. Hi everyone in Clear Creek. I'll go ahead and repost this on my blog too, which is www.vanessahoussian.blogspot.com
By the way, miss you all lots.

No comments:

Post a Comment